General Product Safety (GPSD)
European General Product Safety Directive (GPSD)
European Directive GPSD 2001/95/EC
The European Directive GPSD 2001/95/EC regulates the basic requirements that all products must comply with in terms of safety and health in Europe and for the entire European Economic Area (EEA). All products must meet all requirements established by law before being introduced to the market, marketed or used.
The purpose of this Directive is for manufacturers and importers to design and manufacture their products taking into account all relevant safety aspects, in particular consumer categories that may be particularly vulnerable to the risks presented by products such as children and old people. The manufacturer or importer that markets products in the European Union guarantees that they meet all requirements established by law for safety, health and the environment regulated by this Directive and all others that may be applicable as the case may be.
Compliance with this Directive DOES NOT imply the right to stamp products with CE Mark Logotype since there are specific Directives that regulate specifically its implementation according to type of product and its application scope.
1. The purpose of this Directive is to ensure that products placed on the market are safe.
2. This Directive shall apply to all the products defined in Article 2 (a). Each of its provisions shall apply in so far as there are no specific provisions with the same objective in rules of Community law governing the safety of the products concerned. Where products are subject to specific safety requirements imposed by Community legislation, this Directive shall apply only to the aspects and risks or categories of risks not covered by those requirements.
This means that:
(a) Articles 2(b) and (c), 3 and 4 shall not apply to those products insofar as concerns the risks or categories of risks covered by the specific legislation;
(b) Articles 5 to 18 shall apply except where there are specific provisions governing the aspects covered by the said Articles with the same objective.
- No Modifications -
¿Need assessment to guarantee the Safety of your Products?
Sherpa Product Certification provides complete certification or concrete assistance at any stage and throughout the process of certification or CE Marking for all kind of Products covered by the European Directive 2001/95/EC, Our intervention will summarize and delimit the legal framework that applies to your products, facilitating the identification and understanding of requirements and the development of processes to fulfill them.
How Sherpa Product Certification can help?
- Classify the product and determine the legal framework applicable in each case.
- Identify essential requirements in specific Directives by product.
- Identify, acquire, adapt to the design and carry out tests on products according to Harmonized European and Regulatory Standards.
- Check and manage the intervention of an Accredited Body (Notified Body).
- Evaluate the Product’s Conformity Evaluation according to the mandate established in the Directive.
- Prepare and maintain the technical documentation.
- Write the Declaration of Conformity and carry out the CE Marking.
How can we Help you?
Contact your Sherpa
Sherpa Product Certification is formed by a group of engineers who are experts in regulation and standardization of products, materials and industrial processes at an international level. Our essence as Sherpas is to help our clients to create lasting value in their business and meet their professional needs. If you need help in the procedures of a certificate or simply need specific information about our services, we are happy to help you. Hire a Sherpa in your company and forget about legislation and documentation of your products. Our Sherpas certification experts report quickly and efficiently to the needs of our clients when we are most needed.